Imagine something tender, sweet, soft, fluffy and airy. Like a sponge but better. Like a pudding but firmer. With a nice taste of lemon. Something so light you don’t even feel guilty for eating it. Something so easy to make and with only few ingredients that you can make it right now, because I’m sure you have everything you need in your fridge and pantry.
I always loved desserts with lemon flavor and I usually eat them in Italy. However, it is not possible to travel at the moment so I need to make lemon desserts at home for myself and family. I tried many different recipes but they were all missing something.
Until today when I can finally say – I nailed it! I made lemon cake and I loved it. There is just something so refreshing about the bright citrus flavor. It reminds me of Italy and summer. This cake is so simple and incredibly easy to make but, at the same time, so rich with flavor. It’s magic. It must be magic.
Without further ado, let’s bake!
- 4 eggs (room temperature, separate yolks from whites)
- 100 g sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter (unsalted)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flour (all-purpose)
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 3/4 cup lukewarm milk
- powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 160C degrees (320F). Grease a baking pan (8×8 inch).
2. Separate eggs and mix egg whites until firm and stiff. Set aside.
3. Beat the egg yolks and sugar until fluffy and light. Add melted butter and vanilla extract and beat some more, 1-2 minutes. Add the flour and mix until fully incorporated.
4. Add lemon zest and lemon juice. Slowly start adding the milk and beat until everything is well mixed together. Add the egg whites, not all at the same time, and genly fold them into your batter.
5. Pour batter into baking dish and bake for 35-40 minutes until the top is lightly golden and the cake is firm to the touch. The baking time depends on the oven so take a peek at around 25 minutes to see how it looks.
6. When your cake is cold sprinkle some powdered sugar on top.
Make sure your lemon fluffy cake is completely cooled before you dust the top with the powdered sugar. You can store leftover cake in the fridge for up to 1 week. The important thing to remember is that the cake needs to be a bit golden on top and firm to the touch.
When you touch the top of the cake to see if it’s done, make sure it is firm to the touch and not jiggly. If your cake is jiggly, it’s not yet done.
Go on now! Make your fluffy lemon cake and let me know how it turned out.